Ducks, Chickens AND Rabbits Oh My!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DavisCraig94, Nov 30, 2014.

1. DavisCraig94

DavisCraig94 New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    Being the winter time, I like to stew in many ideas of what I want to do during the next year starting off in the spring time. Well I've come across the idea of raising rabbits. How I came across this is that working at a pet store we rarely get any good quality reliable rabbits for selling through the year. So I wondered, with the land I'm blessed with and the job to aid me in doing so, should I raise rabbits and can I raise rabbits? Now what Im needing feed back from you guys is some quality advice and personal experiences with raising rabbits along side ducks and/or chickens. Now Ive heard some interesting opinions already about chickens having a pecking order and killing off the rabbits; that's fine I'm not much for the chickens I have anyways and someone would be very thankful for a chicken on their table during this season. I have a fully weather proof coop of 10x7x6ft; a small kiddy pool/duck pond and a consistently cleaned indoor and outdoor enclosure for the birds. What preparations with my indoor and outdoor living spaces should I adjust to prepair for keeping the furry friends? What feeding routines or foods should and change? I live in West Texas so extreme winters are not in our forecast but hot summers are, what should I keep in mind for keeping the rabbits cool in the summers? I'd really like to keep my ducks though, how do ducks and rabbits do together?

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    After having a few rabbits growing up I would not kept them with any other animal. They can be very mean and have teeth that can do some damage. They can also be very territorial. They dig so you would need some type of flooring or wire over the bottom of your run. They don't do all that great with heat but if they have cool ground or frozen water bottles to lay with it is totally possible to keep them in the wonderful TX heat. There is a forum on this site about rabbits. If you look around I'm sure you ask there with people who have actual experience. Breeding rabbits can also be a challenge because of males, some can be very dangerous to the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by