ducks & chickens got attacked

daisysducks

Songster
May 18, 2020
help!
last night we locked our 2 ducks 2 ducklings and 2 chicks up in their run (it was the ducklings and chicks second night they’ve slept outside and they’re about 7 weeks old.
this morning i came to let them out for the day (they free range) and when i looked in the run i was devastated. i saw one of my big ducks with blood all over her wing, the other big duck was fine, a very frightened duckling with a few wounds around her wings, a dead chick on the ground, and the other duckling and chickens were missing. there was a hole under the bar in the front of their run that (we suspect a raccoon) must’ve gotten in.
does anyone have any advice on predator proofing as well as care for the wounds?

Pictures of your run and the wounds will help a lot. Have you posted in the emergencies section about the wound care? You will get much more tailored advice quicker there. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. 😭

image.jpg
here’s baby ollies wound. i sprayed it with theracyn so far.

I'd wash the wounds out real good with saline clip the feathers away from their wounds so you can see exactly how bad they are. after washing the wounds real good and clipping then use the wound spray on them. Bring them inside to keep the flies out of their wounds, and it will also keep them cleaner while healing.

Yes please post pics of your pen and coop set up.

You need a skirt or dig down at least a foot and bury Hardware cloth wrap your whole pen area in hardware cloth 1/2" to make a skit you go up 3' on all sides and come out at least a ft or 2 then place dirt or heavy rocks all around to hold it down. Chicken wire just about any predator can rip through but what ever got into yours decided digging was better access which makes me think it wasn't a coon. Was the hole deep enough for a fox to fit under?

Back
Top Bottom