Ducks & Chickens in the cold winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luciesbuddys, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I figured i should start thinking how im going to alter the coop for the winter because how it is now is not going to work for the 12 birds ( 6 Ducks & 6 Chickens)

What is necessary for them to survive and be as happy as they can be when its -10 or lower out?

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    We have an insulated coop for our chickens and are building one before winter for our ducks. It gets that cold or colder here.

I was told that if you use a heat source (i.e. a heat lamp) for your animals, be prepared with a generator or you can lose your whole flock to a power outage. They get used to that heat and don't feather out/prepare for winter as well as they normally would.

We are also getting a stock tank heater for our duck "pond" (a sunken stock tank) so that they can swim all winter.

3. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Where I live it doesnt get that cold, but I always make sure that they have a place to go to get out of the cold. With enough room so that they arent cramped otherwise you might have some fightning. Also I put a heat lamp in there for them just in case it get really really cold. Mostly they just huddle together to keep warm. And always make sure that there water is thawed. I have a heat lamp that points at it and i have one of those heated water things in it. Thats pretty much it, my chickens hate the snow and usually refuse to go out in it. And I havent had my ducks while it was snowing yet so Im not 100% sure on them. But Im sure they are pretty much the same.

Oh and make sure they have planty of hay. I know it sounds kinda gross and not a fun thing to clean, but when it starts getting cold I let the hay pile up. I just keep adding hay and not taking the old out. When it starts to get really cold you should have a good layer of old hay stacked up. Then add a good thick layer of fresh hay on top, as the bottom layer of hay deterierates it gives off heat. Therefore it keeps your coop and your chickens warmer.

4. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Make sure your coop has ventilation holes, moist air will cause frost bite.

5. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Quote:I don't think size will be to much of an issue because the coop is 5x10 if not a bit bigger.

I definitely need to run power out there 1. to run the light 2. to keep the pond and drinking water unfrozen

hay thing makes sense i guess i need to find a way to stock up for the winter....... i have the feeling my boyfriend isn't going to be happy about this news.
    I have a wood shavings source but i have the feeling that it wont be enough.

OH and i have plenty of ventilation.... i need to get rid of some of it

BUT Keep the info coming [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by