ducks & chickens together

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sillystunt, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I have a question??? I know they have different hatch dates but is it possible to hatch them together?

I am going to a swapand i know i will get eggs, the hand thinks without the brain,LOL
    but i have 4 duck eggs~ YIKES

Should i just do chickens and sell duck eggs? or can i put them in togther and pray?
    thanks

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Mine are all together. Chickens went into lockdown today. I just stopped the turner. The ducks aren't due for another week. All seem to be just fine. All developed nicely & have movement.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    MUHAHAHAHH the wheels are spinning now!

4. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    OMG! This is information I didn't need to have! I can forsee an incubator with chicks, ducks, guineas, turkeys and peafowl all timed to hatch out together!

5. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I originally set 4 peafowl, 2 guinea, 15 button quail, 20 cortunix, 20 chicken, and 2 duck eggs.
    All were shipped.
    The pea eggs had some air cell issues. 2 candled clear and 2 had bloodrings (early quitters)at day 10.
    The chicken eggs were badly damaged in transit. 5 were cracked with one being smashed. All have aircell problems. I patched the cracked eggs with nail polish. 8 were clears. 3 ended up with bloodrings. I put 9 into lockdown tonight. 2 of those were patched cracked eggs.
    Both duck eggs are going strong. One guinea egg was clear, the other has a lot of movement in it.
    The buttons started hatching at 8am and I noticed some of the cortunix have pipped.
    Now, mind you, I have a cabinet incubator and a cabinet hatcher, as well.
    But it is definitely fun and I'm enjoying the different species in different stages of development. It makes the time go so much faster when they have different hatch dates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by