Ducks, chicks, and building plans oh my

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CastorChicken, Aug 11, 2014.

1. CastorChicken

CastorChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Hey :D I have around 48+ chickens and 2 white pekins. We'll divide them into three groups: adult, medium, and chicks. I need ideas for a chicken coop to fit 50+ chicken and access for a crippled duck! but I'll get to that later. The ducks and 9 adults are in they're own run with coop.

The medium chicken have just started laying and are only about 5 months and there's roughly 15 of them. They have a 10-10 chain link house with a tarp roof. They have a small house that most of them sleep in at night, but as they start to grow they'll need a larger house. Here's a picture of the coop when the chicken were chicks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Half of the medium sized are bannies, but some are like australorps and orpingtons.

The small chickens are only about 3 months and they have a small house, only built for 2 adult chickens. There's about 25 chicks. Most of them sleep in the 'coop' and the others roost in a close low tree or underneath it.

Now. We want I have eventually have all the chickens together in one large coop. We want to take the 10 by 10 chain link and transform it into a coop with insulation for the winter. The ducks we have are #1.) a year old female pekin, healthy and #2.) my dad's friend gave us an unknown age adult female pekin who is pigeon toed and was attacked by two male ducks we had (they're gone now) to the point where her neck feathers are still very short. She has trouble getting into a halt foot tub of water. We put it on a hump on the ground and she stays in there. Her joints are swollen and she doesn't walk too much.

Before we got her, we had the year-old one. We raised her from a duckling and she, every night, would follow the chickens up the ramp (3-ft) and roost in the coop! She's perfectly healthy and smart. When we got the other one, they became best friends and she started sleeping with her under the coop. The coop is about three feet off the ground.

In the new coop, we want access for the older duck and her own little room. We'd also like some perches and access from the outside from like a door that we can lock out from like opossums. Don't get me started on those rat tailed devils. We would like insulation in the winter where this year it got down to 13 degrees Fahrenheit. We'd also like it hurricane proof and somewhat weather proof. If you have any ideas or blue prints, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Velcom

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Sounds like great plans for a coop! A shed of some kind sounds like it will fit the bill. I have a 12x16 shed I converted to a coop, and I have a 9x6 section for chickens, a 4x6 section for ducks, space for hay, tools, feed and supplies, plus a 2x6 brooder with two 2x3 hospital cages on top. If built out of 2x4 construction, you can insulate the walls. The rule of thumb for 50 chickens would be around 200 square feet inside the coop, so you are looking at a 10x20, 12x16 or 14x14 building.

Here is a shot of my coop and run in CT. The coop is the 12x16 shed, and the run is 15x15. My pekins are enjoying the fresh air!

[​IMG]

4. CastorChicken

CastorChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    It's so cute! How long did it take you to convert? Do have a problem with termites,possums, etc.? Thanks :)

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    The shed was there when we moved in. It needed a coat of paint and I added the white trim. I added the windows to the main doors, to give it a carriage house look, and more importantly allows sun into the coop in the winter. I added the run two summers ago, and that took a couple of weeks to build. I have plenty of predators around: raccoons, possums, bobcat, coyote, bears, hawks and owls. But the coop and run are secure, and I have never had a loss when they are inside. I double walled the run, the outer layer of fence is 2"x4" field fence, and the inner layer is 1/2" hardware wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by