Ducks coughing - advice please?

rachd1987

Chirping
Jan 27, 2016
So my 3 White Campbell's have just turned 5 months old, and have just started laying in the last week or so. Last week I was on holiday, so they stayed with a chicken / duck boarding place for a week where they had their own separate pen. Since I've come home, I've noticed all 3 have developed a cough. All are eating fine, active and otherwise healthy and happy. They were wormed when they turned 3 months old, so I'm wondering if they've picked up respiratory infection? Is it possible that they might have picked up worms despite being wormed not long ago? To rule gapeworm out, would it be safe for me to worm them again, or should I cut my loses and request some Baytril from the vet? Obviously I want them to get better, but I've read that after being treated with Baytril, you can't eat their eggs, is this true? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for alternative treatments I could try?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I should mention I'm in the UK so I wouldn't be able to get any kind of antibiotics without a vet prescription. They are on layers pellets and oyster shell, and have hay as bedding

Last edited:
You could have their stool checked for signs of parasites - it could be there was something at the boarding facility that irritated their throats. It would not hurt to put a little apple cider vinegar (a teaspoon) in a couple of litres of water. Just as long as their water container is not metal.

If it is a respiratory infection, then yes they need to be treated. Some poultry keepers in the U.S. have been using oregano to reduce their use of antibiotics.

I read the note about Baytril and never eating the eggs again. It is a personal decision, but I am wondering how they single out Baytril as a cause for antibiotic resistance and not every other antibiotic?

Update on my quacks. When I got home from work one of my girls, Rosie, was in a very bad way, she's normally the first one to greet me but she didn't even stand up. She hadn't been right earlier in the day I noticed, but had since gone radiply downhill. I rushed her to the vet who confirmed she had a respiratory infection, so she's prescribed baytril for all 3. They've all had their first dose, and Rosie is currently in my kitchen. The other 2 are still noisy and bright as usual so I hope they won't become ill overnight. Rosie's breathing had been very bad, and she wouldnt eat or drink. After giving her some baytril, about an hour or so later she started eating and drinking for me and walking around generally being nosey as she does. So I'm hopeful she'said going to pull through but obviously it's still too early to tell. I know a lot of you will understand when I say how much you can grow to love your pets, she is the baby of the 3 to me, I can honestly say these past few hours have been extremely stressful and emotional!

Although she is settled she now seems to be panting where she wasn't before. The vet only had 2.5% baytril, does anyone know if this is likely to be strong enough to help her fight the infection?

Back
Top Bottom