Ducks coughing/have nasal discharge - what could it be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fawkes, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Yesterday my muscovy Nymeria started coughing and today I noticed some nasal discharge. My pekin May is coughing today too. A couple of weeks ago one of my feral muscovies was coughing a lot (at the time I thought he was choking on food) and I think I've heard some coughing more recently too from one of the ferals.

If it helps, May doesn't have contact with any of the other ducks (the ferals and Nymeria walk up to her pen though). And I'm in Florida and we've had some cold spells lately - not sure if that could have anything to do with it...

I'm also worried about my 4 week old duckling, she drinks out of the same water bowl as Nymeria does. I'm going to stop her from doing that now but I'm worried it may be too late and that a duckling might not recover as well as an adult.... But so far no coughing from her, thankfully.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Anything changed as far as feed[dusty] or bedding as far as wet and moly? these 2 things can cause respiratory problems nasal discharge coughing, you could try putting some unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar into their water 1-2 Tab to 1 gallon of water put this in every bucket bowl they use so they are getting in continually for a couple days. Do you use buckets for their water so they can dunk their heads and clean out their nares and eyes? Also there is a product called Oxine ah I'll give you links for both so you can read up and decided, I keep both and use ACV about 3X a week as a tonic and also use Oxine ah a couple times a week in their drinking buckets and also to spray their bedding after cleaning and fluffing you may want to consider an oral antibiotic if you don't notice improvement in 2-3 days or if you notice the duckling or one of the others with nasal discharge. http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/what-to-keep-in-stock/apple-cider-vinegar. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm another thing you might want to do is get some good poultry vitamins and on the nights your not doing the ACV put them into their water to boost immune system.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Their last bag of pellets was really dusty (like the pellets got crunched to dust) but the ferals didn't eat any of that bag, and the feral duck seems to have the same thing. It's the same hacking cough. I think maybe they've got phlegm in their throat that they're trying to dislodge.

Yeah, they have deep pans of water :)

The duckling does have nasal discharge sometimes but it's like water rather than snot and this seems to be a common duckling thing in my experience. I know that at least my last few ducklings I've had have had this and they turned out completely healthy. But I'll be making sure it doesn't turn into a snotty discharge.

Thanks for the links I'll check them out!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you caring for the ferals or do they just visit ? there are diseases they can pick up in the wild as I'm sure your aware of. so watching closely is very important. Please keep us updated.

5. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Yesterday the duckling (Myrcella) started coughing and Percy has a little bit of nasal discharge but he's not coughing. Luckily they're acting and eating normally and I don't think they're coughing as much now. :)

The 4 of them are being kept in quarantine now of course or I'm sure all the others would be sick now as well. I'm hoping that this isn't a disease that they will always shed, I know some respiratory diseases are like that...

The ferals I care for, they mostly live in my yard, although they do visit some of the neighbors yards as well. Yeah diseases I've always been concerned about. Never had any problem until now though.
    The only thing that has changed is I have a lot more feral mallards coming, as well as feral Canadian geese and a few ibis that are always here. The geese and ibis mingle with the ducks when it's feeding time etc. I have a large pond in my yard so I get a lot of birds of all species hanging out in my yard.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's awfully nice of you to care for so many, hopefully since they are acting normal this isn't anything se[​IMG]rious and will pass, I would dif try adding ACV to their drinking water though. Thanks for the update. I'm envious of your pond must be a treat to watch all the water fowl come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by