1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

ducks digging holes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by widgeon, Jul 17, 2011.

1. widgeon

widgeon Hatching

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi,

I'm a longtime reader first time poster. I recently had 11 pekin ducks in my yard, culled 9 of them for meat and are keeping the remaining 2 as pets and for eggs. I'm wondering...has anybody seen a duck dig a hole? If there's a muddy spot in my yard, the ducks sort of tunnel down into it and make a nice ankle spraining hole in the ground about 12" x 5". I'm thinking maybe they have a vitamin deficiency...or are just playing? Any thoughts?

Phil

2. Thast what ducks do. Wait till winter and lots of rain they will turn into craters 2 feet wide then they will make another, and another AND ANOTHER. I kid you not!!!

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Yup, mud is their favorite spot to make holes.....digging for whatever yummy creature might be in there.

4. widgeon

widgeon Hatching

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the replys Gofaster and Sassy,

I had no idea they would do this when I got them. It's such weird behavior. Well, I guess it's not weird when you think of them digging for a bug, but...I thought they were just digging for the heck of it. : )

Since you guys know what i'm talking about...another qeustion. Ever seen them sort of cock their heads to the side randomly, like they're trying to hear you better? Super funny...[​IMG]

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I love that look! Someone on here called the holes ducks make "doodle-holes", I thought that was really cute.

6. tbitt

tbitt Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Quote:I love it when they tip their heads.

[​IMG]

They can not move their eyes like we can so they tip their heads to see things better... [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago in a duck hole. We'd let the grass get too tall and I didn't see it. My ankle still aches.

Yeah, this is something I always try to tell potential owners when they are first thinking about getting ducks. If you can't live with holes in your lawn and mosquito-attracting puddles anywhere water gathers, then you can't live with ducks.

I LOVE all their cute little looks. And the tail wagging when they're excited. Ducks are so adorable I don't caret that they're also slobs.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

10. tbitt

tbitt Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Yes, that is one of my babies...they grow so fast it is scary!!!!

and the hole thing...............Awww.........'taint nutten!
    I own dogs, darn little diggers.
    I now wonder if they were preparing my yard for the duck..........making pre dug holes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by