Ducks, Dogs and Horses share the pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Aug 3, 2010.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    It got up to 110 degrees here yesterday. My 8 Ducks, 4 Dogs and 2 Horses were sharing the pond trying to cool off.
    Scooter and Maggie are up on the bank in the upper left hand corner preening after their swim. Scooter and Maggie both hatched out in May and yesterday was their first day in the pond with the grown ducks. Scooter flew from the duck pen to the pond this morning, what a beautiful site he was!!
    [​IMG]

My Mallard Drake is topping my Pekin gals and for the last 7 days they've laid fertile eggs
    [​IMG]

here are Scooter and Maggie playing in the grass
    [​IMG]

Scooter and Maggie caught in the act...munching on the Canno plant leaves
    [​IMG]

Michelle

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

This is just too sweet. We have a fenced in area for the ducks to spend the day in. In the afternoon they usually end up in the backyard with the 4 dogs. Anyway my husband didn't latch the gate to the duck area with the 2 kiddie pools next to each other under a canopy. Sammy, our golden retriever, thought that is was time for him to cool off. So he went in and climbed into the one kiddie pool with some ducks in it. They in return bailed and were not to happy about this. The others in the pool next to it simply stayed in it. I wish I had a shot of it.

3. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    LOL too funny!
    Our dogs, chickens, ducks and even our 2 cats all hang out together. The chickens go up on the porch and eat from the dogs' dishes. It's not uncommon to look in our chicken yard and see a hen and a cat getting a drink of water at the same time. My critters are nuts and I love them to bits :) One day I went outside to find a young roo and my 11 month old Peking gal actually asleep curled up with our oldest dog...dang camera batteries were dead or I'd have snapped that shot! My mallards don't like the cats and will chase them, the cats run for cover when they see a mallard coming, one of our broody chicken hens taught the cats that a charging "bird" will flog the daylights out of you LOL On the other hand the mallards like the dogs and will swim right up to them and chatter with them in the pond.

Michelle

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Scooter is really growing up to be a nice looking Scovy! Gorgeous!!!

5. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks Hon, I think so too :)
    Maggie (the chocolate Magpie/Runner cross) used to be my snuggler but she's no longer very affectionate. However Scooter is so lovable it's not funny, he sits on my lap, plays with my bracelets and even lets me pet him when he's in the pool. He's become such a sweet fella!

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by