Ducks don’t like me.

Sierra67

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I have 9 ducks,
2 are 1 year old
4 are 3 months old
And 3 are 3 weeks old
They ALL hate me. Not a single one of them will come anywhere near me no matter what I do. I bring them treats all the time I feed them I give them clean water I spend a ton of time with them but I cannot get them to come near me. The ducklings (3 weeks) used to chase me around and now they run away as well. Any ideas what I can do to get them to trust me and come near me :( they’re cayugas if that helps. I always move slow I always stay low to the ground (unless walking somewhere) I’m always around. But they don’t like me.
I also have 3 more in an incubator about to hatch in a few days, any tips what I can do with them to keep them trusting me?

I have 9 ducks,
2 are 1 year old
4 are 3 months old
And 3 are 3 weeks old
They ALL hate me. Not a single one of them will come anywhere near me no matter what I do. I bring them treats all the time I feed them I give them clean water I spend a ton of time with them but I cannot get them to come near me. The ducklings (3 weeks) used to chase me around and now they run away as well. Any ideas what I can do to get them to trust me and come near me :( they’re cayugas if that helps. I always move slow I always stay low to the ground (unless walking somewhere) I’m always around. But they don’t like me.
I also have 3 more in an incubator about to hatch in a few days, any tips what I can do with them to keep them trusting me?
Be the absolute first thing your ducklings see when they hatch. And try socializing one at a time (adult duck), don't remove the one completely or it will flip out. I had a very friendly drake and as long as he was near me trying to get treats the others were right behind him. Once I lost him the others didn't like me at all.

I have 9 ducks,
2 are 1 year old
4 are 3 months old
And 3 are 3 weeks old
I can totally relate. Although i love my messy little piggies (ducks). I am known as the ax murderer. A couple might come close to me as long as i don't try to touch them.

Be the absolute first thing your ducklings see when they hatch. And try socializing one at a time (adult duck), don't remove the one completely or it will flip out. I had a very friendly drake and as long as he was near me trying to get treats the others were right behind him. Once I lost him the others didn't like me at all.
The three I have right now I was the first thing they saw because I had to help them. And now they hate me

I am always a little jealous when people post about their ducks who love to be handled. I have raised all of mine since they were just days old. I brooded them in the house. I handled them regularly.

None of my 10 runners, ranging in age from 2 to more than 5 years old, want to be touched. On the other hand, they will tolerate me enough to eat out of my hand. But the second the treats are gone, so are they.

The three I have right now I was the first thing they saw because I had to help them. And now they hate me
If they're only three weeks old then they're probably just going through a bratty teenager phase. Did they imprint on you? If they imprint on you they will be inseparable and will practically fall asleep in your hand as soon as it's around them. You might try holding them at dusk, right when they're about to fall asleep. For some reason this seems to be the best way of taming chickens, maybe it'll work on ducks too:confused:

Last edited:
Ducks are perceptive of things we don't even have a clue . For example the perfume you wear , the emotional state you are in when you view them ,you just had an argument with your best friend and you go to see your ducks they will pick up on your vibes from the argument . If they are being harassed by predators that you are unaware of they may perceive you as a threat . Loud noises can also effect keep your voice loving . There is a lot of good advice here already so I 'm not going to repeat it . Good luck and may the force be with you .🍀🌈

Back
Top Bottom