Ducks don't want to come in at night

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvkigers, Jun 21, 2011.

1. luvkigers

luvkigers New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    We used to tuck the chickens and ducks in the safe coop every night. The ducks are now full grown and are almost one year old. They have no interest in coming in at night. We built a duck house close to the pond, but they don't go in there either.

We lost 3 to a predator in the past month so we are getting very worried about this. Any ideas for duck shelters?

2. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Not a likely option but do you have a pond? The reason for my question is a good idea with ducks is to have a pond with an island of some form as they can bed down on the island with little worry from most predators. Not that it's a guarantee or anything and if you don't have a pond, well then you can't build an island in one!

3. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Mine have their own house and I had to condition them to go in with treats. I affectionately called mine feathered pigs. They so see me as a giant food/snack I'm sure. I used a small handful of corn or 1 piece of bread torn up. Before I let them out in the morning I would give it too them and then again when I wanted them to go back in. I always use the same container.

Now I can just holler "duck girls" and they'll follow me to the door and head on in. I do give treats every so often just to reinforce the duck house/pen routine. Once in a blue moon I don't make it down before dark and they are in there waiting for me. On those forgetful nights I make it a point to give them a treat when they are in there.

Sorry you lost some. I'm always heartbroken when it comes to a duck loss, whether it's pred or old age. They are just the silliest of critters

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ugh. my biggest worry. Right now mine are not free range(7wks) but that is eventual plan.. i worry about getting them back. I hope to do the 'treat' thing.. to entice them back in at night.

5. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Personally I would start with a small treat nightly now. They seem to quickly learn to expect it. I just always use caution in the amount I give and have to remind myself over and over its a treat not a meal [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by