Ducks ducks ducks

iwantaduck

Hatching
Feb 8, 2016
New member :)

Hey everyone been searching the net for a poultry group and I think I have found it
1f44d.png

I have 4 chickens in the backyard (suburbia) a d I'm wanting to get a duck (pet) for my 14 month old.
What duck is best, one that doesn't fly? No claws, will the chickens take well to it? Do I get two ducks not one?

Also where do you even buy a ducklings?

Thanks for all your advice in advanced

welcome-byc.gif

You can usually buy ducks the same places you can buy chickens...places like feed store, online hatcheries, etc. You may also find some here on the buy-sell-trade forum (have to have 20 posts to participate).

I'd get 2-3 ducks to start with so they always have a buddy.

If you'd like to learn more about raising ducks, the Learning Center is a good place to start:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

And you can ask questions about them on the duck forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Thanks for joining us!

New member :)

Hey everyone been searching the net for a poultry group and I think I have found it
1f44d.png

I have 4 chickens in the backyard (suburbia) a d I'm wanting to get a duck (pet) for my 14 month old.
What duck is best, one that doesn't fly? No claws, will the chickens take well to it? Do I get two ducks not one?

Also where do you even buy a ducklings?

Thanks for all your advice in advanced

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I raise Indian Runners. Mine are friendly. Domestic breeds of ducks raised for meat or eggs can not fly naturally. Runner ducks are amazing egg layers and the Khaki Campbell. Depends on space, the chicken, and duck. Usually with enough space there isn't any fighting. It's best to have at least two. Hatcheries, breeders, feed stores. All birds have claws. If there is gravel or rocks that can help the claws remain trimmed naturally.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but definitely check out our Duck link that NorthFlChick left with you and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks everyone,

After research I have enough space for 2 ducks and the 4 chickens.
The run is sand based with a few plants, the chicken coup and I tend to Chuck clippings from the garden in there to for the Chickens to scratch around threw, will this be alright for the ducks?

I'll have no narrow the search for breed down to one that doesn't

Fly
Isn't loud
And preferably one that's handle a 14 month old. Shes obsessed with the chickens and pats them so I have nk worries about her with the duck just prefere a sociable duck if there is one

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Has your little daughter ever seen silkie chickens, they are bantam sized, silkies don't fly, and are generally docile and make good pets and house chickens. They seem to be favorites among kids, though they aren't the best layers.

Thanks everyone,

After research I have enough space for 2 ducks and the 4 chickens.
The run is sand based with a few plants, the chicken coup and I tend to Chuck clippings from the garden in there to for the Chickens to scratch around threw, will this be alright for the ducks?

I'll have no narrow the search for breed down to one that doesn't

Fly
Isn't loud
And preferably one that's handle a 14 month old. Shes obsessed with the chickens and pats them so I have nk worries about her with the duck just prefere a sociable duck if there is one

You're welcome.

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC. I hope that you find the ducks you are looking for - the only thing i know about ducks (2 actually) is that they taste great, but make a mess of your oven!

All the best

CT

Back
Top Bottom