ducks dying..... I have a question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wallerchic, Sep 1, 2016.

1. wallerchic

wallerchic New Egg

Feb 13, 2009
    Over the past 3 wks I have had mainly ducks die a slow and laborious deaths! What is going on? I have never had this happen before. At first I thought it was my jakes and that they were being aggressive, so I penned them up, but today two birds one duck one chicken just up and died. It is all confusing. It has mainly been water fowl but now two chickens have died as well. The water fowl die as if their necks have been broke, I find them laying flat on their bellies and their necks stretched out and it takes days for them to expire! I bring them in put them in comfortable quiet spots and they never recover. I have looked online to no avail. Anyone know what's going on? They all seem to be healthy and doing fine in the mornings, then when I go out for afternoon checks I find them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  2. goodforthegoose

goodforthegoose New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Your ducks may be suffering from "limberneck disease", that is, botulism poisoning. The bacteria that causes botulism thrives in stagnant water and other anaerobic environments, making ducks particularly susceptible. Ingestion of the botulism toxin results in a progressive paralysis of the body often leading to death. You may be able to save them with an expedient dose of antitoxin.

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Botulism-in-a-Duck

3. goodforthegoose

goodforthegoose New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Please delete the double post. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. wallerchic

wallerchic New Egg

Feb 13, 2009
    Thank you, this does sound like it is botulism. I read the article, but what do I do about my pond? How will I get the bacteria out of it? All kinds of wild birds come here daily as well.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think Botulism usually kills in 48 hours or less, so I would be more concerned about something like duck plague.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. goodforthegoose

goodforthegoose New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    The bacteria that cause botulism thrive in the sediments of ponds with warm, stagnant water full of decaying organic matter. Changing any of those conditions, or better yet all three, will create an environment in which the bacteria cannot survive.

This FAQ from the University of Michigan has a lot of good general information:
    http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/exp...an-botulism/faqs-botulism-in-the-great-lakes/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by