Ducks eating bread........Good or bad????????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by babyboy1_mom, Apr 22, 2008.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I read something on here that said that you should not feed your ducks bread. I was just wondering why. I see people feeding ducks bread all of the time. I have ducklings and I do not want to do any thing to harm my babies (when they get bigger of course).

Dorothy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Probably because it's like empty calories and candy to them. I'm sure a few bits from your sandwich won't hurt them though.

3. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks silkiechicken. I just got my babies and I am already attached to them. I know that by the time that they are big enough to eat bread, then that attachment is going to be even stronger, so I do not want to do any thing to harm them.

Dorothy

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I had always been told to give it to them when they're near water. They need water to soften it and mush it up, since they don't have teeth. I shouldn't think a few crumbs here and there will hurt them. [​IMG]

5. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

As a treat it is probably ok with water as mentioned. I would tear it up well. I've seen a duck choke and die because someone threw a half of a biscuit to one. The duck was wild so it couldn't be caught.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely remember that one.

Dorothy

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Actually, hubby said it's like candy to a kid... they'll gorge on it (no nutritional value) and not eat their usual food... keep it a treat. [​IMG]

8. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks Mrs. AK-BB. Little treats for them....lol

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by