1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks eating morning glory

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbabyducks322, Sep 9, 2016.

1. newbabyducks322

newbabyducks322 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    California
    I have morning glory in my backyard where my ducks stay and they tend to eat the flowers. I heard that this flower is poisonous to ducks and I'm not sure what I should do because they have already eaten a lot of the flowers. Are they safe or in trouble? I will be trying to get rid of the plant but I am not sure how long that will take. Will the be okay for a week or so?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Well, my two cents won't be very helpful but here goes. I found this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/503363/morning-glory-ok-for-ducks
    It talks about what you're asking. I did additional web searches. Opinions appear to vary on the toxic effects it has on poultry. I guess I'd be cautious and not let them near it. They won't get sick if the DON'T eat it. :)

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd probably keep the away from it, that said and done.. mine are eating my Hosta .. i tend to believe if the plant was a concern most wouldn't eat it unless starved, however i too prefer to keep the ducks away from plantings that are on the 'debatable' list so i opt for many edible plant choices here...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by