ducks eating soapy dead bugs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lotsofloveforchickens, Apr 6, 2018.

1. lotsofloveforchickens

lotsofloveforchickens Chirping

Mar 17, 2018
    I have beetles that get into my ducks pen. I heard spraying them with dawn dish soap and water can kill them without spraying poison. if my duck should eat a dead beetle that was sprayed by the dish soap and water could it make him sick.

2. blakeee

blakeee Songster

Dec 31, 2016
    Australia
    Why not just leave them for the ducks to eat without spraying?

Khota, Julie Birb, carlyducks and 2 others like this.
  3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I doubt it will do much too them. It might give them the runs if they eat a lot but who am I kidding. They always have runny poop. I’m with blakee, keep them alive. It’s more fun for them to eat with no toxins.

4. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    I believe dish soap would only work on soft bodied insects (I.e. aphids, caterpillars, mites, etc.). If beetles are your problem dish soap probably won’t penetrate their hard exoskeleton- just let the ducks have at ‘em!

5. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    the beetles only come out at night when my ducks are in there kennel for the night for safe keeping. the beetles start multiplying and if left alone there will be hundreds. any thoughts

6. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    I have sprayed them in the yard away from the ducks and it works. just wanted to get rid of the beetles without hurting the ducks. the beetles only come out after the ducks are up for the night

CarleeAnn likes this.
  7. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    Maybe sticky paper? :confused:

Khota likes this.
  8. Khota

Khota Songster

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    Bugs are pretty dumb and seem to be suckers for sweet stuff.
    As CarleeAnn said, maybe squirt some syrup or honey on a paper bag to make some sticky paper and leave it on the ground for them to trap themselves in? Might catch some other bugs too though...

9. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Can the ducks go night hunting a couple times? You’d be surprised how many they can get!

Khota likes this.
  10. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    I don't know about ducks for sure. . but I know soap is very toxic to caged birds. . so I would be cautious considering the soap probably won't even kill the bugs anyway.

CayugaJana likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: