1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks , Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cristina33, Jan 2, 2008.

1. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I am looking into getting some ducks. I would like a duck that is a good egg layer and friendly pet. Could you tell me how your ducks are?
    Thanks
    Cristina

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Runners and Khaki Campbells are the best layers and there is a strain of white muscovies that are pretty good layers. They all make good pets if they are handles regularly but I prefer the muscovies as they seem to have more personality.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Look into muscovys, they are really neat ducks. I also have runners and Khakis, the Khakis are ok, I didn't get then when they were little. The runner I have had since they were 4 days old. They like to talk to me but they don't like ma anywhere near them. And they are LOUD, very very loud. These runners I had in my house until they were 3 weeks old and they would run around my kitchen and pick up the crumbs. I also had a few baby muscovys with them. The runner will not let me touch them but the muscovy will come up to me and talk and let me scratch their necks.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Muscovies............2 being female.......both of them are laying almost daily now........I have 3 runners.......again 2 female.but they have just reached egg laying age but I dont expect eggs until cold weather passes.............neither of the runners or Muscovy ducks let me pet them though........Scovies are a pretty interesting duck and SOOOOOO guiet !

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I say Khaki Campbells or blue swedish. Those 2 are my fave breeds out of all the ones I've had. My Khaki Campbells were good egg layers. I got them when they were adults and they tamed down pretty fast compared to some other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by