Ducks eggs and Guineas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pnewman, Jan 15, 2013.

1. pnewman

pnewman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Hello

I have 2 Mallards 8 Bule Runners and 11 Guineas.
    I am having an egg problem.
    My female Mallard is sitting on 3 or 4 eggs in the coop but it is only 15 degrees outside could they hatch?
    What should I do with the eggs if not? Will she be troubled if they dissapear?
    Also my Guineas lay eggs all over the place outsied in the coop.
    What should I do with them I have been disposing of them untill now.

Thank you

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She could hatch them if they are fertile, but in the cold temps your talking about it will be a challenge to raise them, but if she has a secure shelter that she can take the duckling to out of the weather they may be okay. The Mama will keep the ducklings warm as toast as long as they stay close by and get get under her. If your Guineas eggs are fresh either eat them, bake with them or toss them which ever your comfortable with. Now back to your duck who is brooding, it will take 28 days give a day or 2 for the ducklings to hatch, if you don't want her sitting at this time of year take the eggs away she'll be upset but she will get over it. and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. pnewman

pnewman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you for the info.
    After 28 days if they do not hatch will she discard them form her nest or should I remove them ?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Give her more than 28 days maybe by day 31 because unless your sure when she actually starting sitting they could be a day or 3 late in hatching. she may or may not leave them if they don't hatch. My duck was still sitting on 4 eggs after her other 4 ducklings hatched and I finally candled to see if anything was going on, there wasn't so I removed them. Before tossing candle to be sure theres nothing there.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I have had ducks hatch eggs during winter on the bare ground with bits of straw and pine shavings she found with a few feathers mingled in so yes it is very possible. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by