Duck's eye injured - is terramycin the right thing?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
My poor duck Penny looked like this when I went to check on the ducks in the yard. I believe it probably happened when my other female was doing her bizarre pseudo-mating stuff - she pulls feathers and sometimes will jump on Penny even on dry land. I applied Terramycin. It seems watery and there's a tiny blood spot along the edge. Sad this happened, I watch them so carefully and usually break them up because I've always been been afraid of an eye injury occurring.

IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG

My poor duck Penny looked like this when I went to check on the ducks in the yard. I believe it probably happened when my other female was doing her bizarre pseudo-mating stuff - she pulls feathers and sometimes will jump on Penny even on dry land. I applied Terramycin. It seems watery and there's a tiny blood spot along the edge. Sad this happened, I watch them so carefully and usually break them up because I've always been been afraid of an eye injury occurring.

View attachment 2871634View attachment 2871639
If the other one likes to pull at the eyes then that could definitely cause the irritation. Terramycin is always my go to for eye injuries/irritation/infections and it hasn't failed me yet. I would also consider separating until it heals otherwise there is a good chance she will end up an even bigger target for the other ducks with all of the drainage and irritation going on.

If the other one likes to pull at the eyes then that could definitely cause the irritation. Terramycin is always my go to for eye injuries/irritation/infections and it hasn't failed me yet. I would also consider separating until it heals otherwise there is a good chance she will end up an even bigger target for the other ducks with all of the drainage and irritation going on.
Ok, great. I've only used the med one other time. She doesn't go for the eye, I think if she jumps on top and grabs her neck she might have accidentally gotten too close to her eye. I don't know - they've lived together 2.5 years and this is the first time it's happened. I'll keep you updated.

Ok, great. I've only used the med one other time. She doesn't go for the eye, I think if she jumps on top and grabs her neck she might have accidentally gotten too close to her eye. I don't know - they've lived together 2.5 years and this is the first time it's happened. I'll keep you updated.
It could be it just got irritated from something getting in there or scratching it on something. Eyes are pretty sensitive in general. I know someone who they thought was going to have to have their eye removed because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her eye and it was continuing to swell...her eye was so swollen she quite literally looked like an alien and that's putting it nicely. When they went to do the surgery they were astonished to find a little tiny pebble not much bigger than a gnat stuck way down under her eyelid. That was it...just a tiny little pebble and after they removed it the swelling started to subside almost immediately🤷

Back
Top Bottom