Ducks feathers being ripped out

BelValleyDaisy

Songster
Oct 10, 2015
UK
As most of you know i had 3 ducks, Bel a male and 2 females Valley and Daisy. Bel was bullying the new duck so he has been rehomed. Daisy wasn't introduced slowly and we just presumed they would accept her. Now after a week of Bel at his new home Valley has began tearing out Daisy's feathers. She has bald patches. some websites have said that Valley has a mental disorder? and that it can result in death. What can i do to stop this cannibalism.
What can i do to stop this? Please help!

Where are the feathers she is pulling out? What is the context? Is she chasing her and just ripping feathers out from wherever she can grab? Is she playing hop on top and ripping them out of her neck while doing it?

Why would you think Valley has a mental disorder? Are there other symptoms? I've just never heard of a bird intentionally hurting other birds as a mental illness. I've heard of them pulling their own feathers as a mental illness - I had a cockatiel that did that. He had to wear a cone because he would pick at his chest beyond a bloody pulp. We had to put him down - his neurological problems were so bad. He was probably from overbread lineage.

Is she crested? Some crested birds can be prone to mental disease, but certainly not all of them.

Please separate them. I know you are trying to help them be a flock, but they need to work this out on opposite sides of a fence. When I introduce new ducks, I make sure they can see and talk to the rest of the flock, but no one can touch them.

Hi I don't know what crusted is? She is just grabbing and pulling and eating them. I can't separate them because there isn't much space. There isn't a spare bedroom either

Hi I don't know what crusted is? She is just grabbing and pulling and eating them. I can't separate them because there isn't much space. There isn't a spare bedroom either

Crested - it means they have a fluffy puff on the top of their head. There isn't any way to put a fence between them? It doesn't take much. I feel really bad for her if this keeps going on. Sometimes they just need a break from each other. Is the biter your original duck, and the one being bitten the new duck?

hi,
Yes the one being bitten is the new duck. no, she isn't crested. We bought some feather picking spray and it appears to have solved the problem. Daisy is growing back her feathers and the problem seems to only appear when they are in a clean bath. Though i watch them and stop it when this occurs. Thankyou for your help though
big_smile.png
@jducour

Back
Top Bottom