Ducks fighting :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurenluckyriri, Jan 2, 2017.

1. laurenluckyriri

laurenluckyriri Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    I'm so upset! I have 5 muscovys, I got 3 at first and one got eaten so we got 3 more from a different farm and although the new and the old fought a bit at first, they all ended up getting along, and you guys know how it is when you first get ducklings- it's so hard to tell male and females so we just hoped for the best. However, they were all born in the summer and are now pretty much full grown to my knowledge and I noticed today when I was putting them in their coop for the night my one male was trying to mate with one of the females for the first time (his unit was out, the girls were chasing him around biting it, good fun!) and I don't know if that made the other male mad because they started really fighting!! Like really bad, these two are literally brothers and have been together from day one so I don't understand why they're suddenly fighting. I have 3 females so it's not like there's not enough, I left one in the coop with the girls but had to put the other in the garage in a giant wood box for the night.they got along all day as far as I know and I've never seen them fight like that it was so scary! One of them was even bleeding from what I saw in the snow- it was just a little dot but still. Will they stop? I really don't want to get rid of any and my boyfriend will not let them stay in the garage because of the poop.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Are they getting along now? They could just be maturing and fighting for dominance and over the female ducks. We had our two turkey hens fight for days and had to be separated, but eventually got along again. If the fighting continues I would rehome him or make a new enclosure in the yard for one of them, possibly with a few females so he won't get lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by