Ducks fighting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jodylt26, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jodylt26

jodylt26 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Hey everyone so I need your help I am new to having ducks just last spring. I ended up getting eight ducklings khaki Campbell's and rowans I currently have two females left and five males. Two of my males have started fighting really bad when we let them out during the day so someone told me that I needed to get more females I went to a farm this morning and picked up three more females so now my females are fighting Am I going about this all wrong what do I need to do to make them stop fighting. As of last night all seven we're sleeping in the Dockhouse together and then going out during the day to play and go swimming and then I would let them in together at night but now I've had to separate the two males because of fighting now I've had to separate everybody from the new ducks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Hello [​IMG]
    How much space do they have to roam?
    Drakes will need at least two girls each (from what I read, you have five and five, right?). You may have to get rid of some of them(drakes), or get more females
    Its a good idea to quarantine ducks, and also have a "look no touch" period before they all go together.

1 person likes this.
  3. jodylt26

jodylt26 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Ok I'm thinking introduced the girls to quick. Maybe that's why the girls r fighting

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Could be...
    Maybe you can separate some of the the more aggressive boys from the whole group, and put the new girls in a lil fence with the rest, so they can get to know each other. Ive also heard boys will fight less if there are no girls around, so maybe it will help....
    Let me know what you end up doing!

5. jodylt26

jodylt26 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017

6. jodylt26

jodylt26 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Yea I have the new females separate now. I only have the two males that fight everyone else Is fine. It's so annoying

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I used to have three drakes... Two, Lefty and Bill (now theres an original duck name for ya!) started fighting so bad with drake #3 Curly (who was the smallest), I was afraid they were gonna injure him badly. So at night when it came time to put them in the coop, I didnt want the girls to get injured in the smaller space, so I left Bill an Lefty out the coop. Guess what I found in the morning? A great horned owl came to visit! So rip Bill, but Lefty and Curly get along fine now, coz they each have three girlfriends.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. jodylt26

jodylt26 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Yea I don't get it Dave and Sam. Those r the males fight no matter what. If they r alone or if everyone is around but u take one of them away all the other males r fine together

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Hello....

You need less males......You would do better with one male to five Hens......

Right now they are all battling over the sexes......Get rid of most of the Drakes, one is ideal but two can workout also.....Depends on the flock, age is a great reason for squabbles......The females are fighting possibly you introduced to quickly....Look no touch for a couple of days and free range cuts out the stress.........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by