Ducks fighting!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RamblingRhonda, Aug 1, 2013.

1. RamblingRhonda

RamblingRhonda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I havr five young call ducks about 2 months old. 3 are drakes, one a hen and the last i am still unsure of. I just got 2 new hens who are jusy under a year old. When i try to introduce them one new one startes bitig everybody! The other new one just follows her around.

My old ducks are getting riled up and keep biting back they now want nothing to do with the old ducks. They are in seperate pens now, where they can see eachother. Will they always fight? And how can i help them get along?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It takes a bit of time for all to get use to one another, let them stay separate for now but where they can see each other, then in a few days try letting them into a common area[can you do this?] where it's neither of their "Pens" that way they can mingle and get the kinks worked out with out feeling they have to protect their space from the intruders. Give them something to eat. veggies, meal worms something yummy to keep them occupied. I am thinking if you go by this gradually they will become one flock in time may take a couple weeks and remember there will always be some pecking order to work out but if possible let them work it out as long as no one is getting hurt. Let us know how it goes. and [​IMG]

3. RamblingRhonda

Jun 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for the advice! I only have two pens so common ground is not really an option. But I gave them some new water, playing in the hose is my old ducks most favorite thing to do. While this was happening the new ducks tried to sneak in on the fun and the old ducks did not notice.

I soon saw a pecking order coming into play. I can see that one of the new ducks is used to being in charge but the old dominant boy was going to have none of that. After a bit of a play (and some small disagreements) the new ducks stopped being aggressive and began backing down when the old came over. By the time I separated them again the new ducks were allowed in the pool, as long as they kept their distance.

I do not intend on keeping all of the ducks together. I am planning on separating them into trios. 1 drake and 2 hens. New pens are still under construction, there has been no rush as my boys are still too young to mate. Would the ducks find it easier to get acquainted in smaller groups? Maybe in trios?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking once you separate into trios things will settle down quite a bit. Sometimes the girls will get into a bit of a scuff but it usually doesn't last long. Now we need some pics of everyone. [​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, flock dynamics will drive one crazy at least calls are small lol My scovies are something else, i am so over draked again. I think i am fortunate with my calls, my two youngest are sounding like females lol so i'll have one drake and 3 ducks.

I agree with Miss Lydia, we need pics..!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. RamblingRhonda

Jun 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

7. RamblingRhonda

Jun 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

8. RamblingRhonda