Ducks fighting...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by indianrunner7, Feb 4, 2014.

1. indianrunner7

indianrunner7 New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    I have 4 ducks. My problem is I have 3 drakes and one hen. [​IMG] They all got along fine until a month ago. My black Indian runner drake and my Ancona drake still get along just fine. However the Silver Appleyard drake fights and even took a chunk out of the Ancona. (he is healed and is OK now)
    It is winter, and I do have a heated shed but now I have to keep the Silver Appleyard separate from the other 3 ducks. He is beautiful but he simply will NOT quit fighting the other 2 drakes.
    I want to find him a good home. A home where he will be safe but where he has hens.
    Someone told me to get more hens.
    Unfortunately, I cannot do that. I do not have the room. I really like my ducks but not the fighting.
    Can anyone tell me how to find a home for my Silver Appleyard drake. His name is Blue Nites...
    I hate to advertise on craigslist, I am afraid he will be eaten or abused. He was March "baby", so he is 11 months old.
    Thanks to anyone for the help...
    I tried to post a pick but it would not post...[​IMG]
    There is a summer picture of my duck in my Avatar. Blue is the duck on the far left...(I think he is beautiful)...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
  3. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just a heads-up - we generally recommend that you have more females than males with ducks. At least 2:1 to keep the females from being overbred and injured/killed. In your situation, even if you rehome one male, I'd keep a close eye on your girl.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Agreed. Rehoming A male is not the end of the issue, no way can 1 female stay with that many males, the drakes will only continue to fight with each other and could quite possibly gang up on her either injuring her and/or causing death.

I'd rehome the female too if you cannot add more females or get rid of all but one drake and the duck and add more ducks.... honestly this is in the best interest of all ducks involved.

[​IMG]

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by