Ducks first egg!!!

FlittingFaith

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
My duck Quackers just laid her first egg!! :):)

It was such a fab surprise, however i'm not sure what to do with it now..

She has been mating, but as far as i'm aware she hasn't built a nest.

We bring them in the house at night and i found the egg lying on the floor. She acted no different however, and happily ran into the garden when given the chance.

I assume that she would know if it's fertile and make her nest/not want to leave it if that were the case?

How can i check if the egg is fertile? And if it is fertile, do i just pop it straight in the incubator??

Also, i realise that she will need more calcium now. Is it ok if she has chicken layers feed? (She's on waterfowl pellets atm)

Thanks, Faith! X

They do not know if the eggs or fertile. I would just collect the egg as its far too cold for ducklings now. What breed is she? Some breeds will not even go broody and just leave the eggs. Oh and congrats!!!

My duck Quackers just laid her first egg!! :):)

It was such a fab surprise, however i'm not sure what to do with it now..

She has been mating, but as far as i'm aware she hasn't built a nest.

We bring them in the house at night and i found the egg lying on the floor. She acted no different however, and happily ran into the garden when given the chance.

I assume that she would know if it's fertile and make her nest/not want to leave it if that were the case?

How can i check if the egg is fertile? And if it is fertile, do i just pop it straight in the incubator??

Also, i realise that she will need more calcium now. Is it ok if she has chicken layers feed? (She's on waterfowl pellets atm)

Thanks, Faith! X
If it were mine, I'd have it for breakfast, say as a scrambled egg.

I got my first egg this week was surprised since it has been so cold. I am not sure who did it but I think it was one of my 5 month old hybrid from metzer farms. I am going to eat it tomorrow. yummy.

The other posters are incorrect. There is a way to check if it's fertile. Crack one of the eggs open and look for a bullseye.

Crazy4Fowl, I am at a loss to understand your statement, the "other posters are incorrect" ? How? When you group us all together and say we are incorrect, it ruffles my feathers (lol). I said I would have it for breakfast, and that's what I would do. I do not read anywhere above that anyone said there was no way for a person to check for fertility.

Crazy4Fowl, I am at a loss to understand your statement, the "other posters are incorrect" ? How? When you group us all together and say we are incorrect, it ruffles my feathers (lol). I said I would have it for breakfast, and that's what I would do. I do not read anywhere above that anyone said there was no way for a person to check for fertility.
Your not incorrect I was talking about @dave1212ish he said there isn't a way to check if it's fertile...

I think you may have misunderstood he actually said the DUCKS don't know if one of their eggs is fertile.
oh sorry I misunderstood... I was in a rush because we were leaving and I was reading this post but I didn't read it right, sorry
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom