Ducks first nest, how do I handle the eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hatykuber, Feb 15, 2017.

1. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    I have two female ducks, a buff and a khaki Campbell. We had a buff drake until Sunday, it is now Wednesday. Didn't get any eggs from the girls until the drake was gone, now there are three eggs in a nest. The girls like to lay in there together, but I think they are buff eggs. I would like to let them sit and see if we can get some ducklings. I have never done this before and want to do it right. Can I handle the eggs without momma fussing about it? Both girls are very sweet, I just want to make sure they will still accept the eggs after I mess with them. I would like to mark the eggs to keep track of their order, because I might put a couple in an incubator since this is the ducks first time. Any advice is very appreciated, I want to keep my girls happy and make sure I'm doing things right. Thank you! [​IMG]

2. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Also, I found one of the eggs for the first time yesterday and I was so excited I brought it right inside and we were debating what to do with it since it's probably fertile. We decided to put it back in the nest. I didn't see any other eggs, but I could have missed one. Then this morning there were three. Hopefully I didn't do any harm by bringing the one egg in. It was only for about an hour and I handled it gently.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Well, just because they laid eggs does not mean they will set the eggs.....you might want to try incubating them yourself?

Cheers....!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can mark them daily since they aren't sitting. Then if they don't start to sit on their own, take some in an incubate them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by