ducks for herding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hsnrs, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hsnrs

hsnrs New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    We want to raise ducks for stock dog work. Any suggestions? How many to get; what kind; etc. We don't know anything about ducks but do have a few chickens. Narita in AZ

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I would suggest runner ducks, maybe an order of 15 or so. If you look in the waterfowl section they should be able to tell you more.

P.S. this is in the wrong section.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Now its not in the wrong section.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, runners.... apparently they were herded to and from the rice patties. I know mine all hang in a nice tight herd when I have to chase them back to their pen [​IMG] And with 2 turkeys running with them [​IMG] (don't tell them they're turkeys though... they seem to think they are ducks [​IMG] )

5. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Hello fellow stockdog owner!

We keep a flock of sheep for working our Australian Shepherds, and we just got in our hatchery order of 10 indian runners. Because we are planning to have trials at our farm, we purchased 5 pullets and 5 straight run. That way, we have (hopefully) mostly hens and a few drakes so that we can hatch more ducks when we start to need them. For now, two pens of ducks will do - one flock working and one flock resting. If I had to work more that just a few dogs, I'd have gotten more ducks. I guess I was thinking that we won't need more ducks for a while.

Cheers!
    M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by