Ducks, Geese and Chickens cooped together

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stamper, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm building a new coop to house ducks, geese and chickens. I just got a kind of crazy idea...

I have this old bathtub laying in my back yard from a bathroom remodel. I was thinking that maybe I could put it in my coop for the ducks at night. The coop is elevated off the ground so the tub could be recessed and level with the floor and it would be really easy to clean out... just pull the plug!!!

Would a tub of water be problematic for the chickens? Would they run the risk of drowning in it? I could separate the coop into two parts if that would be better...

So what are your thought on the bathtub?

What is your experience having ducks and chickens together? Any special housing accommodations?

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    We house our duck with our chickens and we have never had any problems once thebduck was big enough. We have kiddie pool for the duck but it is not inside the coop(we free range). Maybe make sure you have something in there that a chicken could stand on if it did fall in.

3. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    When I first got ducks they were housed with the chickens. I will say, ducks will eat all the food and your chickens will begin to starve. If you have ever watched a duck eat, they eat fast and a lot. I had a kiddie pool in the coop for the ducks and yes, your chickens will get in and they will drowned. Ducks are also a lot messier than chickens and they will destroy your coop. If you can separate the coop, that is what I would do. Just from experience, but your decision. You can keep chickens and ducklings together, but separate after the duck turns about 3 months of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by