ducks/geese in hot climates?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wingnut1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Hello BYCers! Long ago, I raised mallards in Santa Barbara, CA - and it was easy -- fresh water in the kiddie pool each day and the temps never got too hot. Neighborhood kids would come over with bowls full of snails just to see the ducks chow down! [​IMG]

Now I live in the hot south, and we live in a lake community (read as: shared lake) - and I am wondering what additional care issues might arise? I have 8 hens, and have fans on them in the heat of the summer, and shade. Will the same do for the ducks? I just keep thinking about all of that down.....

Thanks in advance for your help! Oh- and if anyone knows how sebastapol geese tolerate the heat, they are awfully pretty and I am tempted!!!

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would think Muscovies would be fine in that climate. Didn't they originate in S. America?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When they acclimate they won't grow in as thick of a down as ducks in the far north.

Make sure they have shade and water to play in and they will do fine.

4. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Wifezilla

Good point! I can look into the country/area of origin and compare climates. I shoulda thougtha that, eh? [​IMG] Thanks ! [​IMG]

5. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Miss Prissy

Thanks! I didn't know that they would put on less down.. great!

So here is another potentially boneheaded question. In the past, I didn't have a lake in my backyard, so it was easy to give them only the kiddie pool. I'd be SO tempted to let them have access to this lake -- does anyone do this? By *this* I mean, have pet ducks/geese, that they let have supervised access to a shared lake?

It is a 75-acre lake - (a large pond to those in the North) now - I know my chickens will come back for goodies -and they get to roam around the yard when I am out in the garden -- but they follow me back into their pen - so I know I can round 'em up when needed.

I recall my mallards being a bit more independent.... anyone have experience with letting ducks/geese out and getting them to come back in? And we have lots of wild geese/ducks visiting the lake at different points in time - the pet ducks/geese won't have the "street skillzzz" if you will - any worry there?

Thanks so much for your always kind assistance!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you turn them out into an open public lake you will have issues.

1. They probably won't come back.

2. In many places it is illegal to let domestic ducks out in a public lake.

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Miss Prissy -

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get them back.. so they would need to remain penned in.

It is a private lake - owned collectively by the homeowners like up who bought property on the lake - but it sounds like my fantasy to give the ducks free play time in the lake has many flaws... so kiddie pool and a pen it is!!!

Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by