Ducks going blind- no aparent injury

HeartsHolly17

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
Hi,
My step sister and I own four khaki campell ducks and the other day I noticed that one of them had a crusty, goopy eye with a rim of white around it. My sister caught her and put her into isolation, but her eye is milky and blind at this point. She bought her some ointment to help it heal, but now another duck has a blind eye.

I caught her yesterday and her eye is all crusty, goopy, and milky too. Is this an illness that is going around? Or are our chickens pecking at their eyes?

The ducks are kept with my eight chickens in a very large coop overnight and allowed to walk around our huge yard for most of the day. The ducks usually wander to the back of the yard where there’s a creek and play there until nighttime.

The only time i’d think the chickens would peck them is if they were eating and jabbed at them, because otherwise they stay in their separate groups.

There is also a rat that sometimes sneaks in to steal eggs and food. (We’re trying very very hard to get rid of it, but he’s smarter than our traps and I’m a terrible shot) could the rat be hurting them? The one duck who has hurt first went broody next to the rat’s hole.

I’m just a little baffled on the situation. I don’t know much about ducks in comparison to chickens. Any help is appreciated

It could be conjunctivitis related to a respiratory disease such as MG. Are they getting a container of clean water to clean their faces in? It might be something less serious, or some pecking issues. I am not that familiar with duck issues, so I will tag @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia who know ducks.

It could be conjunctivitis related to a respiratory disease such as MG. Are they getting a container of clean water to clean their faces in? It might be something less serious, or some pecking issues. I am not that familiar with duck issues, so I will tag @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia who know ducks.

They have two containers of clean water but they muck them up very quickly after we refill them so we have to do that often. Maybe it’s just pecking? They aren’t showing signs of being sick and have healthy looking plumage and droppings as well as clear looking nostrils

Do you have a drake? Occasionally a drake will inadvertently damage a ducks head/eye while mating. Also sometime a jealous will come over and peck at a hen's face while the drake is breeding her.
We have a drake named Jake and he's incredibly active. At any given moment he'll be mounting one of the three girls. That could be it, thank you

Back
Top Bottom