Ducks got in an oil pan

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trimurtisan, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I have 4 Pekin ranging from 12 to 16 weeks old. My son left the back door to the garage open where a freshly filled oil pan is.

At first it looked like a couple of ducks rolled in some poop. I changed their pool water, and they went for a swim. I noticed they didn't get completely clean, but didn't think much of it.

6 hours later I walk to the back of the garage and see oil on the floor, then I realized it was the ducks. I never actually saw them in the garage, nor have I before.

None of them are acting strange, they just look dirty. 1 Drake does have residue on the side of his face, but not on his bill. The rest of them just have it on their body.

What should I do or look out for in regards to ingestion? Also if anybody has any suggestions on cleaning the oil off I would be grateful for that as well.

Thank you
    Trim.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. Cailyn12

Cailyn12 Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Dawn dish soap bath :)

3. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    Have you seen the dawn dish soap label? It has a duckling covered in oil getting a dish soap bath

4. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Dawn, check. Thanks.:thumbsup

5. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    You'd think I've never heard of dawn and oil spills. Guess the... :eek: got me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: