1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks got sprayed by a skunk!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kevomxracer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    A few days ago I noticed a smell of skunk from my duck pen. And now it's raining here in CT. And the skunk smell is horrible. What can I do to get rid of the smell? And possibly wash my ducks off? Any help?!?!

2. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Never heard of that one before, must have been a rather insecure skunk, Typically they only spray when threatened. I'd be afraid that any kind of washing with soap would remove the oil from the ducks and be more detremental to them than the stink. If they have a washtub or something I'd guess they'd gradually clean themselves. On the plus side it might keep any other predators from wanting to eat them.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Have you posted over in the duck thread? Maybe someone there has had that happen and can offer advice. Good luck!

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You can use Dawn to wash a duck but I don't know that you would be able to get rid of the skunk smell with it. Search for something that is usable on dogs and you may be able to use it to clean the ducks. I'd just take extra care that the product is either non-toxic or that you are extremely careful in washing them that they don't drink the water.

5. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    Ya. I was thinking use dawn soap also. But every time they're in water they drink it. And they are very skiddish and don't like to be picked up. So this is gonna he a challenge. Cause what I've been doing is giving them fresh clean water a few times a day. Hoping they will clean themselves and the smell will go away

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ah and here is the problem that those of us that don't handle their ducks all the time deal with. [​IMG]

I'd have the same problem. You may be able to find something that you can add that will not hurt them but I don't know what that would be. I know there is the old wive's tale about bathing in tomato juice to get rid of the smell. I don't know if that really works but if it actually does you could get some for them to splash around in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by