1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks grabbing hair

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Nov 30, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Has anyone here, with long hair, had a duck nip or grab their hair?

I was feeding Tom some peas and he doesn't see very well. When I put the dish on the ground, my hair fell down and I felt him nip at my hair, not hard or anything, I think he couldn't see what it was and knew food was around, so he assumed it was food. But, it got me to wondering if anyone actually had their hair grabbed by one of their ducks or even their geese, if they have some.

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

YES~~ Mine Love to play with my hair.... in the summer when I lay down they will jump up on me and pick , pick , pick at my hair.. They will even pick out any clips or pins ~~ goofie - gusses.. lol

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Jet nibbles on my hair all of the time.... and on my nose too if I get too close... I think it is an affectionate thing - or in Jet's case I am his only friend.

4. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That's cute! I know Tom likes me because every time I call him, he wags his tail and he hasn't hissed at me for a while even when I try to touch him.

I got some sad news, though, the lake staff is telling people not to feed the birds there. So, Tom and all the other ducks and pigeons are no longer getting fed everyday. That could be why Tom was eating the peas, he's usually a picky eater. I don't usually feed the ducks because I know they got fed by this one man every morning for the last few years. I hope everyone does OK, we have some disabled animals there. I still plan to sneak in with some peas or seed now and then, but not often, so not to get into trouble.

5. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Does this picture answer your question. lol

[​IMG]

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Ohhhh hahaha K4zn... thats too cute. [​IMG] Mine haven't messed with my hair (of course I haven't given them the opportunity to either [​IMG] ) .. but I have one muscovy girl that LOVES my toes.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    When im sitting down my ducks always come over and nibble on my hair and zippers and basically anything else that catches their eye!!! [​IMG]

8. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Toes, shoes, shoe laces, zippers, hair..... if its chewable, ducks will chew it. lol

9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They are still trying to give my husband an wax job in summer. Nothing better then leg hairs. [​IMG]
    They haven't gotten to my long hair yet, but I usually put it back together.
    The drake loves to play with my socks when I sit down. Silly boy.

10. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Cute stories! Glad that it's not an aggressive thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by