Ducks happiest days?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 22, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Why is it that the ducks happiest day, are those in which I wish I were waterproof?

Getting dumped on with rain today - for next 48 hours, massive wind gusts.

Ducks are happily chattering sitting in their duck yard. I am soaked. Funny, how even soaked, it is wonderful to hear them happily chattering and swimming away in the fresh water bowls that I just cleaned and now are totally muddy! When the rain is coming down in torrents....

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck people have a great advantage in wet weather - our ducks show us the sheer joy of it all! Our big rain is expected tonight, I think. I took them out for a walk in the lower garden at the tail end of a deluge. There were streamlets everywhere, and some ducks would lie down and let the water pour around them. Happy, happy ducks.!

3. yoyosma

yoyosma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Whidbey Island
    Ah, Snohomish County's right across the water from here- and you are right, it is a GREAT day for ducks!
    My gear's not up to it- that horizontal rain ends up straight down my neck-
    But the ducks and the geese are just fine.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My ducks don't care that much for rain when it's coming down in torrents, they stand around with their chests stuck out looking alot like lawn ornaments.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

One of my Cayuga ducks loves to stand in the stream from the hose as I fill their kiddie pools. She bites at the spray of water!

All the others duck to go under it, or avoid it altogether. Some stand around the pools whilst I fill them chattering about how long it's taking until they can jump in and swim. And yet the water-biting little girl will jump right in and swim back and forth in and out of the spray.

Rainy days? Unless there is wind with it, the ducks and geese are SO happy! Even when it's a COLD rain!

6. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    to us is miserable to them its just ducky out

7. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    They are having a wonderful week....I am telling myself the chattering ducks make me really happy even if I am soaked to the skin for the third time today due to ducky in/out/escapes, etc.!

8. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Yep, just across the water. Saw your signature (also found your website - will have to keep that handy! When i need an escape from the ducks!) Keep telling my husband we can live on the sailboat when I can bring the garden, the two dachshunds, and the six ducks.....he balks at 6 ducks on a 26 ft sailboat....[​IMG]

9. karbear

karbear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    My ducks are enjoying the weather today too!

10. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Just cracks me up on these stormy rainy days...I'll look out the window and my girls will be just running around the pen quacking and flapping their wings, pretty much living it up!
    Makes the miserable weather seem a little less so in their presence. When I go out with them and am wearing a rain hat or use an umbrella they get super leery...just too unusual for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by