Ducks Hate Water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gatrapper, May 16, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

1. gatrapper

gatrapper Chirping

May 20, 2015
    Hey Y'all,

My wife and I have been raising ducks for the past 4-5 years. We have always raised Pekins for meat and have never had a problem with them not loving the water.

This year we picked up some Cayugas and Indian Runners just to have around the yard. We have had them in the water since the day we got them and they have always went nuts when swimming. As they grew older we would take them down to our creek each day and they would swim for at least an hour. They have been outside for a month now and they free range all over, but they will not visit the creek. We will gently heard them down to the creek and they will avoid it like the plague.

They do go crazy in their water bowl.

What is up?

2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    There might be something “scary” in it like a trash bag. Inspect the creek for anything like that. That’s all I can think of.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Snapping turtles?

quackiemama likes this.
  4. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Maybe you have snapping turtles in the creek. If my guys sense a predator all fun is out.

5. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    Ah yes that’s probably it

6. gatrapper

gatrapper Chirping

May 20, 2015
    The creek is a shallow mountain creek. There are some tiny fish in there. I have never seen a turtle or other water predator.

chickens really and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

We live in the mountains of NC and didn’t think we had snapping turtles in the river and creeks around here but we do. Not saying that is what it is but something has them spooked.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    They may not feel the Creek is safe anymore. They may have seen a predator there in the past or sense another animal there now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: