Ducks Have Ruined Me!...**pics Added*** Anconas Hatching Now!!!

mylilchickadees

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Lincolnton NC
OK, So we have been raising chickens now for awhile, then we "some how" ended up w/ a few ducklings in Feb. that we were going to raise at our house for my mother in law til they got a little bigger.....They got bigger and moved to their new home... but .....

What happened???.... I got ADDICTED!! TO DUCKS!! The messiest bird EVER!! It's not like I don't have enough going on w/ two boys 4 yrs and 2 yrs, two dogs, two cats, chickens everywhere... and a very understanding husband! BUT DUCKS!! I thought never!!! AND THEY ALL FREE RANGE IN OUR BACK YARD... Picture my two boys riding their power wheels w/ ducks and chickens all around them, some chasing them (birds chasing the boys, not always the other way around!!)! The birds don't mind a bit, they hardly move when the boys drive past them!!!!

And now.... I have 3 magpies, 9 runners (again raising SOME til they get a little bigger for my mother in law) and now eggs in the incubator..... AND ANCONAS hatching!! OMG!!!! What have ya'll done to me!! So I have been a huge BYC reader, love the duck section, and guess I got suckered in....

One duckling just hatched.... 7 more pipped... HOW EXCITING!!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR MAKING ME CRAZY IN LOVE WITH DUCKS!!

Last edited:
Hello hello hello!!

I do believe I have met your Runner ducks. And why, with all that duckie love running around in your backyard, you don't also want all my extra drakes, I just don't understand!!!!

Glad to hear you're loving your babies. I want to see those anconas, desperately. Are they actually hatching out right now? How many are there? Can you tell colors yet? Ohhhhh... I wish I were hatching anconas! We'll have to trade hatching eggs next year...

(This is Heather in Charlotte, in case you haven't figured out, lol!)

They do have a way about them that is rather addictive!!! Hope you do plan on posting some pics when those ancona have finished hatching...I love little black and yellow splodgie ones!

They are hatching right now!! Two out, a few more pipped.... HOW EXCITING!!

Yep, I have some of the best looking runners around thanks to Heather!!
I will defiantly post some pics, it's so much fun, can't tell colors yet.... Just CUTE!!

Just wait till I get the Holderread blood into my flock and in a few generations start popping out blue&whites and tri-color paints!
big_smile.png

I can't wait to see your pictures. I wish I had more space! I would snap up some of your anconas (as many as you'd let me) in a heartbeat. Alas for only three duck pens!!!

Four out right now!! One looks like a silver and white one!! They are still trying to fluff out. I don't care what colors they are, I am so excited!!
The lady we got the eggs from got all her Ancona's from Holderreads!! She has tons of them and all different colors.

If I am not mistaken, Holderreads isn't caring Anconas anymore, seems like she told me they sold their stock to another waterfowl farm... Boondockers maybe... Don't quote me on that!! I will have to ask her to find out.

Pics coming.....

Here's some pics, still trying to fluff out. When we were taking pictures, the ducks kept coming up to me or my son, would not sit still!!
Just like my boys!
smile.png
Looks like 2 black and white, 1 silver and white, and 1 in bator can't tell yet...

57870_img_6160.jpg

57870_img_6153.jpg

57870_img_6155.jpg

57870_img_6152.jpg

Oh--I didn't know they were Holderread's! That's fabulous--especially considering that Holderread's no longer carries them. Although whoever they sold them to will probably do a good job too--they're apparently very selective when selling breeding stock.

Argh. I wish I had room for them!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom