ducks have sore feet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sue Trudel, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Sue Trudel

Sue Trudel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    can my ducks get sore feet from straw bedding, I think their feet are sore but my friend has ducks that stay outside even when -30 and their feet are not sore. maybe I am just worried for nothing

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Why do you think their feet are sore?
    If they are sitting a lot, they are probably keeping their feet warm by sitting on them.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Their feet can get cold if ground is frozen and they "stick" to it when walking! That is why they sit around and will not walk much.
    With the snow on the ground mine will fly where they want to go. I can be around back of house and they hear me and they come flying around there.
    It is kind of funny because they will let you get right up to them before they want to move...
    My 4 chinese geese sleep in the barn with miniature horses and bed down in the straw right beside them!
    And they dig thru the alfalfa hay with them.

4. Sue Trudel

Sue Trudel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Maybe I worry for nothing, cause I want the best for my creatures. Can't be cold cause I have to keep them inside for winter cause just before winter 6 trees fell on my duck building and fence, only had time to fix building before winter. Just learning about ducks as I mostly had chickens. Thank you, Sue

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Well, you know ducks just act funny sometimes.
    I worry about mine all the time. [​IMG] You are in good company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by