ducks haven't laid in a couple months, ideas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shaft0463, Sep 9, 2010.

1. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    we have several adult ducks who had been laying daily, even through last winter, for a year. they stopped a couple months ago.

their food has stayed the same, and they are in the same pen. they stopped laying before the days started to get shorter, plus they laid all last winter, with no lights. we have had some funky weather this year, with it being super hot (even for FL) followed by weeks of heavy rain, and then back to hot again. we also had fowl pox go through our chickens, but they are penned away from the chickens. none of the ducks seemed the least bit ill, just not laying.

what could have caused this, and how do i get them to lay again?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are probably molting, just be patient and they will start again when they are ready.

3. shaft0463

Jun 8, 2010
    I didn't know they quit laying while molting. There have been feathers everywhere for a couple months.

4. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    sounds like you have it figured out! They are molting and also some ducks are only seasonal layers. Keep that in mind also.

5. shaft0463

Jun 8, 2010
    Quote:I knew ducks were supposed to be seasonal layers, but these ladies laid more consistently than my chickens last winter. I got an egg a day from each of them, with very infrequent days off. That surprised me.

They are Pekins, if that matters. Until recently, they were laying machines!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by