Ducks haven't laid since the move!

Violetberry

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
Auckland, New Zealand
I have had two ducks (Welsh Harlequin crosses) for two weeks now. I bought them off a breeder who told me they are a year old, females and have been busy laying nice big eggs. However I haven't received an egg from either of them yet. They are confined to a decent sized pen for now, have a nice little house with straw, a paddling pool, a couple of other randomly placed nesting boxes and they're on good quality layer pellets, wheat and vege/fruit scraps. While they are incredibly shy ducks, they seem happy.

Is it normal that they haven't laid in the two weeks they have been living with me? Could it possibly be too hot right now? (I'm in NZ - middle of summer).

Thanks!

It's completely normal a move can be extremely stressful for birds. Mine did the same. It really depends on the bird when she wants to resume laying but eventually they will. Its Just a waiting game.
One thing to try is to replicate their previous home such as nest boxes etc. it might make them more comfortable.
I'm not shore with your weather but I'm in florida and it gets very hot and heat has never effected my egg production. Hope this helps.
-Travis

Last edited:
It's definitely normal that they haven't laid yet after two weeks. Don't stress too much about it yet. I took in two adult ducks last fall, and the female, who had been laying regularly at her previous home, didn't start laying until about three weeks later. I noticed that she had made a nest area in the indoor pen, and placed three golf balls in the nest. When I let them in for the night, I watched her tuck the golf balls under her breast, and the very next day, voila! A beautiful white egg. Since then, she's laid an egg a day. She still has the golf balls in her nest, and when it's cold, she covers them up with straw and feathers, along with any eggs I haven't collected yet. I'm betting your girls will start laying soon. They just need time to become comfortable with their new surroundings.

Ah thank you both, I feel better now! Yes I forgot to mention I put golf balls in their nests and I noticed they have been covering them with straw. Hopefully that's a good sign. I'll be patient :)

Back
Top Bottom