Ducks hiding eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dpenning, Feb 17, 2019.

1. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    So my pekins are six months old. They live on my pond that has some long grass on the back side of the dam. They spend quite a bit of time back there and i'm wondering if they are laying eggs back there. I go over and look for them periodically but have never seen any eggs. Are they old enough to be laying? Would they bury the eggs in the long grass or do you think they are just foraging back there? If they are laying, will they lay in the same spot or will they choose different spots?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Hmm... they could be laying based on age, but the daylight hours aren't quite there yet. Really it depends the duck. I have some that will make nice little nests and bury their eggs in them and others that will just randomly lay on the ground anywhere. Ducks might even lay IN the pond. Some lay in the same spot every time and others are random. I'd definitely keep an eye out for hidden nests. I would say that my ducks consistently lay first thing in the morning (much more than my chickens) so if you lock them up overnight you are more likely to find the eggs in their house/pen. Good luck! Hopefully you will have eggs soon and they won't be too hard to find!

3. Texag87

Texag87 Songster

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Hello fellow Texan. Our are not quite 6 months old are started laying on Thursday. They are not making nests just dropping in the coop.

4. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    thanks for the feedback! Ill start looking late mornings in the tall grass and see if I can find anything. My ducks don't hang out in a coop so it will be an Easter egg hunt every day!

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Hopefully they pick a favorite spot and you'll know where to look eventually.

Texas Kiki, dpenning and Texag87 like this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They are young and many times they begin to lay on water. Like in a pond, kiddie pool. Once they mature they will lay on land. Might have started and yet again they might not have either?...

dpenning likes this.
  7. DuckyBabies

DuckyBabies Songster

Oct 15, 2018
    My pekin would always have one spot in the woods that she would disappear to for a little while, but I could never find eggs! Turns out she was laying them and my dog knew where she would lay and would eat the eggs! Once she hit about 8/9 months old she started laying in the coop and hiding her eggs in the hay.

dpenning and Kkrista123 like this.
  8. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    17CCAD9B-555C-4BDC-B063-4DE1EF1F1806.jpeg Woohoo! Got my first egg. Unfortunately something else found it first but at least I know one of them is laying.

DuckyDonna, Miss Lydia and Texas Kiki like this.
  9. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    I found this one right at the edge of the water in the area where I feed them every day. Hopefully they will continue to lay there.

Miss Lydia and Texas Kiki like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: