ducks how to get out of pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladyh, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ladyh

ladyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    My Pekin ducks 4 are 3 1/2 weeks and 4 are about almost 3 weeks. I tried to get them to get out of the pen (I want them to have free roam with my goats) I can herd them out of the pen but they go crazy and get very very upset and try to get back in the pen.

How do I get these guy to come out and free roam during the day and go in at night?

Really new to this.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    just leave the cage open during the day dont push them into going out let them ease into it eventually theyll get curious and walk out :) just let them figure it out

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. ladyh

Mar 9, 2015
    LOL that would be too easy HA

I guess I'm going to have to cut the gate just enough for them to walk out and the goats can't get in to eat their food. Do you know you high and wide of an opening for them to go in and out I would need?

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    depends on your breed but why cant u just leave it opened ?

5. ladyh

Mar 9, 2015
    as stated above they are Pekin ducks. Goats cannot eat the duck food and/or chick scratch stuff. The goats will get in the duck pen and I won't let them do it. It will make them sick.

6. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are still so small with no parents.. I would run water in the area I wanted them to go, & boy do they love to dig for bug's.. I would tap my feet and they nibble.. But now of corse Rick is a grown duck and he like's to nibble on my army's.. Since we hand raised them we can go pick them up to do welfare check's when ever we need to.. Or just to hold them to educate others.. It is a blast.. Enjoy & post photo's when you can

1 person likes this.
  7. City farm

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    X2! They are probably afraid of anything that moves.. Also, give them a area to hide in.. Ours love to get cozy in the bush's..:frow

1 person likes this.
  8. ladyh

Mar 9, 2015
    Are they old enough to come out? They have bird netting across the top for protection. I sit by them a lot and talk to them but they are such scardy cats.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. City farm

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Agh, they are precious! I would make time to hold them and let them know you're not going to hurt them. They get used to it even though they don't like it. I can go right up and pick up. And that's what I enjoy. I'm not going to chase the duck around to catch it. They come right up when I give him a treat. I hand feed them kitty cable in the morning. I don't know if it's too young to let them out, although I'm sure it has to be warm enough for their age. Depending on where you live. And remember if there is no mom they can still drown. They don't have the oils that the mom has from her. She put's it on their feathers or down coat. It makes so they can float

1 person likes this.
  10. ladyh

Mar 9, 2015
    I have read all the things about them when I got them and put them under a heat lamp and such. I'm in New Mexico, where it's a dry heat. I put them outside in the pen when they still had their down and were all yellow. That orange container had a heat lamp on top. Well during the night and in the morning they were NOT under the lamp. They were out far way from it. They were not even 2 weeks yet. The temp went down to 39-40 degrees but they were not interest in staying under the light, They preferred far away on the other side with no shelter. It didn't seem to phase them one bit. The babies were swimming in the water and loving it and didn't seem to have a problem. I did notice that the 4 bigger ones (only a week difference in age) would cuddle around the younger ones...really cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by