Ducks in a creek.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeremy, Nov 14, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm thinking about getting some ducks in the springtime. (Any suggestions?) I recently purchased a house that has a creek alongside the property. Half of the creek is within my property line and the other half lays inside city boundries. I planned on using this creek as a psuedo-natural habitat for my duckies. Mostly because it seems like the most obvious thing to do.

Does anybody have any input or suggestions though as to pros/cons? I'm thinking they would help especially with the mosquito larva that are in the creek and I can't see why they wouldn't be absolutely thrilled to have such a large space to call home. I am planning on building a small duck house and placing in on the bank of the creek for their protection at nighttime.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I have a creek also. I find it best to have the duck coop by my chicken coop on top of the hill. I let my ducks free range all day and lock them in at night. Once they get old enough I show them down to the creek if they havent found it already. Once that happens, I let the ducks out in the morning, feed them, and they run down to swim...they usually take a few breaks and come back up for food, but they are down there most of the day. Also, when it starts to get a little dark, they come up themselves and go in their pen. Now I dont think that they just happen to do it for me because I have had ducks at two seperate times and both groups put themselves away later in the day. As long as you push them up from the creek a few times, they'll learn to do it themselves....sorry this was so long, just had a lot to say [​IMG]

3. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    It's as if 1lpock and I have the exact same set up and situation. My ducks found the stream on their own, and return home every day at dusk and put themselves back into the barn. Sometimes they do come up for a snack in the middle of the day, but not always.
    My stream runs along the road and my ducks have never strayed on to it. They also use a limited section of the stream, by their own choosing.
    Good luck with yours!

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Does anybody know of a certain duck breed that does better than others in these conditions?

5. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Mine are all Runners, but I do have a Saxony, Magpie and Khaki hen. I would think most breeds would work for you depending upon your preference.

6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My khakis, cayugas, east indies, calls, magpies, runners all do it...i might worry about mallards, but if they are with other ducks, i dont see a problem

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Id suggets getting the ducks young. I sold some of my 2 month old drakes to a lady with a creek right next to her house - within a week they had dissapeared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by