Ducks in downstairs laundry room at night - room has a "musty" smell; is this harmful to them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JumboMom, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JumboMom

JumboMom New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Anyone have this experience? They are outdoors during the day, but indoors at night due to a predator threat (even though they have a secure pen on the patio with double hardware mesh all round and a padlock). This is driving me crazy worrying about the smell and their health. They are a trio of one Jumbo Pekin, 2 Golden Hybrid 300 layers, and a small Black Swede (he lives in a separate pen). The Jumbo may have asper, the others are OK. The Jumbo is now upstairs and is on meds. He drills in moist soil and may have picked up something with the weather change. Sheer hell living with this worry, and the constant predator threat.

HELP.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I doubt that the basement will cause problems unless there is an extreme mold problem. I would seriously work on the predator situation. Good luck, and relax a bit - this is supposed to be fun.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you have a secure pen why are you keeping them inside. sounds like it's a good well built thought out pen, and fresh air would be good for them. Much better than stale musty air. does the pen have a covered top to keep out climbers? if so get them outside. [​IMG] asper comes mainly from mold I believe if it came from drilling in mud and weather changes all my 15 would have it. Drilling is what ducks do best.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Your worries indicate you are a responsible duck person. I generally suggest people go with their gut. Apparently you are not comfortable with them outdoors due to predator pressure. Do not ignore that feeling.

For the mustiness, you have a few options.

I would start in the area right around where the ducks are, and wipe down surfaces with either a borax and water solution, or a tea tree oil and water solution, or if you don't mind a vinegar smell, tea tree oil in vinegar.

But remember you don't want it to reek in there, too much tea tree oil fumes is not good, either. So wipe down while the ducks are elsewhere. They get out during the daytime, yes? That is when I do the anti-fungal wipedowns.

If you have an air purifier or can borrow one, get that going down there.

A small fan to circulate air helps prevent mildewy things from growing so much, I think.

A dehumidifier is another idea. I have all three in our basement, because sometimes in the past it has gotten a bit mildewy, and now that the ducks sleep there every night, I don't want that to be a problem.

So what I suggested to you is what I do. I have a little spritzer that I fill with tea tree oil in vinegar, and I spray concrete surfaces and a few other things with that. I wipe down surfaces that have gotten dusty (and it is a job that is never all done, so there are plenty of dusty things, still). I also have a borax solution spray for plywood. Borax is GREAT for anything fungal, in my experience. and it does not produce odors.

I wash the duck linens (there are some hanging towels around the pen) in hot water with borax, and vinegar in the rinse water.

You may also be able to follow your nose to a spot that is worse than others and just work with that extra carefully.

For example, if there is any carpeting, I would sprinkle dry borax on the carpet and work that in really well, wait overnight (keep animals off the carpet in the meantime - that includes human animals who play on the floor), and vacuum it up.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I went downstairs to do room service for the ducks, and looked at my front-loading washing machine. They are notorious for musty smells. Check your washing machine. If it is a front loader, the aroma could be coming from the big gasket around the opening for the door. If so, treat it with borax or tea tree oil.

I spray mine with tea tree and vinegar and close the door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by