Ducks in FL

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
I'm hoping to get my first ducks in the spring.
ya.gif

I was wondering if some breeds will handle the FL heat and humidity better than others? I've only had chickens and certain breeds do better than others here; wondered about duck being the same. Of course, I want to get some that will do well here.

Thanks!

Muscovies are your best bet, as they live wild in Florida already.

Stay away from fatty meat breeds like Rouens, since they release body heat very very slowly.

In general smaller breeds will do better like Indian Runners, which are native to a warm Indian climate.

Ducks do overheat very easily. It is important that they have shade.

Muscovies are a tropical breed (they don't like cold climates) and do well here even in 110 degree heat, but I'm sure there are other breeds that will do well in heat and humidity. Ducks are quite hardy.

Thanks for the reply @HannahDuckLover !

Every catalog or website seems to point out how cold hardy ducks (or chickens) are but around here, it's the heat & humidity that can be a problem.

I'm almost sure (unless I change my mind again, lol) that I want Khaki's and Blue Swedish. I don't want to get my heart set on something only to find out later they weren't a good fit for our weather.

I think they'll be fine. I don't have experience with other breeds, but I've never read about specific breeds of ducks having a tendency to overheat in hot climates. Besides, they can cool off by taking a dip, and chickens can't do that.
smile.png

Muscovies are your best bet, as they live wild in Florida already.

Stay away from fatty meat breeds like Rouens, since they release body heat very very slowly.

In general smaller breeds will do better like Indian Runners, which are native to a warm Indian climate.

Ducks do overheat very easily. It is important that they have shade.

I do like the Indian Runners and those were my first choice but they're described as nervous and flighty (at least in the catalogs and websites I looked at). Since these will be my first, I thought maybe something calmer would be a better choice. I understand some of the temperament varies from bird to bird.

We have a lot of shade in the area we are looking at setting up a duck house/area. We definitely had to take shade into account for our flock of chickens too.

What do you think about Khaki Campbells and Blue Swedish, do you think they would do ok here?

(I tried asking on the FL state thread and only got back 1 reply from someone that owns KC's. No other recommendations were offered.)

I do like the Indian Runners and those were my first choice but they're described as nervous and flighty (at least in the catalogs and websites I looked at). Since these will be my first, I thought maybe something calmer would be a better choice. I understand some of the temperament varies from bird to bird.

We have a lot of shade in the area we are looking at setting up a duck house/area. We definitely had to take shade into account for our flock of chickens too.

What do you think about Khaki Campbells and Blue Swedish, do you think they would do ok here?

(I tried asking on the FL state thread and only got back 1 reply from someone that owns KC's. No other recommendations were offered.)
Khaki Campbell is also a light breed. I think the Blue Swedish is a medium breed. Indian Runners are not very flighty and in my opinion are not nervous or at least mine are not and I've had other people say they are not. I'm sure if you have a small pond (like horse tank) they should be fine not worrying about the heat. My Indian Runners got a lovely horse trough to swim in. If you're looking for egg ducks go with Indian Runner or Khaki Campbell.

Thanks for the tips! Might end up with some runners after all...they were my 1st choice.

Back
Top Bottom