DUCKS IN FLORIDA!! iTs the stupid freakin law, I am pissed off!

caglemedic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Belleview, fl
I do wildlife rescue but have my own ducks and chickens. How many of us in Florida have ducks? Did anyone know that all ducks are from mallards hence all ducks should have a permit to possess them?! Yep, I was told by another BYC member that indian runners were included but when I asked on thier website, I was informed of this:

Ms. Tedrick: The Indian Runner does fall under the Mallard Rule. It would require a permit to possess it, this could be just the simple no cost personal pet license, exhibit class 3 license or the game farm license.

68A-4.0052 Possession and Release of Live Mallards.
(1) No person shall possess, import, sell or otherwise transfer, or release live mallards (Anas platyrhynchos), except as provided in this section and other applicable rules of the Commission. For the purposes of this section, “mallard” includes all Anas platyrhynchos and fertile hybrids thereof except the white variety of Anas platyrhynchos commonly known as “Pekin” ducks.
(2) Live mallards may only be sold or transferred to, imported by, or possessed by:
(a) Persons licensed pursuant to Section 379.3712, F.S., and permitted to release mallards pursuant to Rule 68A-12.010, F.A.C.;
(b) Persons permitted to possess mallards pursuant to Rule 68A-6.002, 68A-9.002, or 68A-9.006, F.A.C.; or
(c) Persons licensed pursuant to Section 379.2525 or 379.3761, F.S.
(3) Live mallards may only be sold by persons licensed pursuant to Section 379.2525 or 379.3761, F.S.
(4) Mallards shall be caged as specified in Rules 68A-6.0023 and 68A-6.004, F.A.C. In addition, persons other than those permitted pursuant to Rule 68A-12.010, F.A.C., shall meet the following requirements:
(a) All cages and enclosures containing mallards capable of flight shall be covered at the top to prevent escape, and
(b) East of Jefferson County, cages and enclosures containing flightless mallards shall be covered at the top to prevent interaction with wild waterfowl.
(5) Mallards may only be released pursuant to Rule 68A-12.010, F.A.C., or for bona fide dog training, raptor training for falconry purposes, or field trials provided that persons releasing mallards for dog training, raptor training, or field trials shall return the birds to possession or caging as soon as possible after release.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History-New 7-1-04.
The NE Regional Customer Service
Customer By Web Form (Heather Tedrick) 05/02/2011 05:14 AM
If a Indian Runner is rescued from a pond, I need confirmation that it cannot be released but can it be adopted to a farm? Is there a link that list what ducks are considered farm or what are considered wild? I swore I found it before but cannot find it now.

[---001:002383:37020---]

So yes the permit is free but no matter what they say they do show up and inspect. I have an educational permit, the freakin lady came out inspected, okay its part of my game but why in the hell wasnt I told then that my ducks running around needed a permit!

True dat, i have pekins scovies AND welsh harlequins do ya think i need a permit? Im not even out of city limits so i dont think im supposed to have them anyway...

Ok according to the -government- there are four types of ducks:

Mallards -require permit - if its not a Muscovie, Pekin, or Mule (see below) its a Mallard derivation... like a dog these ducks come in all shapes and colors...

Muscovy - are in legal trouble especially in FL (see link above)

Mules - a hybrid, some sterile others not - requires a permit if fertile... *shrug* (all my new ducks will be listed as sterile mules from now on)

Pekingese - a very domesticated duck from a mallard... large white...

I have 2 indian runners living in my appartment with me. Think that passes the housing part?
tongue.png

I had ducks for 3 years in a deed restricted community in Florida and I never got in trouble? Just get some it will be find. Just plant tall lushes plants in your yard and no one will see them.

Back
Top Bottom