Ducks in Florida

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cnling, Dec 29, 2016.

1. cnling

cnling New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Central Florida
    I'm ordering some Indian Runners in the spring to add to my garden. I've been looking into local ordinances and learned that the FWC regulates all mallards except pekins. I should qualify under the pet use permit since I only want 6 for eggs and I don't intend to sell them. This will be my first time raising poultry, so I'm super excited and want to do everything right! I've already checked my zoning and I'm in a residential agriculture zone, so no trouble there :D.

Does anyone have experience with the permit?
    Does the FWC come inspect?
    How large is your set-up? (Pictures?)
    I plan to order my ducks from Metzer online, but I'd rather shop local. Does anyone know of anywhere that sells runners in the Pasco area? Yes, I'm willing to drive a little ways to pick up my babies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Does FWC stand for Fish and Wildlife Commission? Indian Runners are a 100 % domestic breed, and I doubt that they are of concern to them.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I think by Mallards they mean the wild type, not the large (ugly smelly) ducks that look like a Mallard on Steroids. If it can't fly (as in migrate) I doubt they care either.

Please excuse the editorial comment on Duxx. I can't help myself..

Welcome to BYC!!! Enjoy your time here and have fun!

4. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I'm guessing you will get better information on the duck section. I hope you get your answer though! :)

5. cnling

cnling New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Central Florida
    FWC is the Florida Wildlife Commission. They have a section specifically pertaining to domesticated mallards of which nearly all domestic ducks are. Muscovies are the only typical domestic non mallard duck. The only mallards not covered by the rule are pekins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by