Ducks in natural pond with fish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by porkchop48, Jun 19, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    So I finally got moved and the new house has an awesome pond.

I wanted to get a couple ducks. The pond is stocked with bass, bluegills, etc. Will the ducks screw up the pond?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Nahh, looks good! I dont think they will mess it up too much maybe just trim the grass a little..You'll want to keep them penned up so no predators get them in the day or night.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They will eat some of the smaller fish, but a couple of ducks in a pond that size shouldn't be a big issue.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't think they'll mess it up. Maybe their poo can be good for it. But, be aware, if you have large mouth bass in there, that the fish like to eat ducklings if there are any.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you need to also be aware that snapping turtles love ponds, and they love to snatch duck feet, ducklings, and juvenile ducks. [​IMG] My neighbor had one duck to die from losing its foot to a turtle, and another that ended up crippled but survived.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Our ducks are out on a quarter acre pond and we have bass and bluegill...The ducks have actually helped keep the pond clean!..I imagine if you put too many ducks on the pond you are going to make it really mucky....Our pond water looks good and we still do have fish!...A few years ago we were plaqued with snapping turtles (nasty buggers) and we had to trap and get rid of them...Haven't seen anymore for quite a while...I love watching my ducks diving in the water and swimming around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by