Ducks in pools??

DuckMochi

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Hey there everyone it's been a while since I've posted here but alas I am back with another question! It's getting hot! And my grandfather has a pool nobody uses. It's chlorine and it is taken care of by a pool boy so it's not dirty or anything and I was wondering if I could take my ducks over for an hour or two to play in it? We don't have any water source deep enough for my pekin drake to actually swim/float so I thought it would be nice for him to get a chance to see what it's like but I am so worried about the chlorine. This wouldn't be an every day thing, like once in a great while, this may be the only time at all, but is it ok? There's a ton of mixed answers online and I've seen plenty of wild ducks hanging out in pools but I still want to make sure!

@CarleeAnn I didn't even know I commented on that threat lol! Also I know people are really worried about the pooping but nobody actually uses that pool. My grandpa is too old and my sister occasionally uses it for a few minutes but not till the late summer. He gets it cleaned regularly by a pool guy, but nobody uses it so there won't be any issues with someone getting sick. And honestly? I wouldn't bring them over there a lot. It may only be once, maybe another time in the future but it won't be a regular thing at all. I just wanted to give Sunni a chance to see what it feels like to swim

Chlorine probably isn’t the best for him but one time probably wouldn’t be a big deal. I used to let my ducks swim in our salt water pool almost everyday no problem until I built them a proper pond and had no problems. You could look into buying him a pond liner. Some of the smaller ones at Lowe’s are decently priced.

7290747E-E803-46F5-8053-38B67E00B9C8.jpeg BCD70AEB-5727-44B9-842A-023B55C54D35.jpeg E3E6F41B-839F-4C21-B6CE-1C927ECEEAA5.jpeg 4AD43B3D-2848-4FB0-AC3D-140051507266.jpeg

Also I haven’t posted on here in such a long time so here’s some pics of the ducks! Sunni is so big! (Yes he’s standing on my back in the third picture)

I had the same question with a very similar situation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chlorinated-pool.1211448/

Someone brought up the concern for Black Algae and that is what convinced me to not let them swim. It was so cute watching them do it that once and they dove and splashed all over the pool! We also had a pool man come out to tend to it, but I figured it had the potential to do a lot of harm and wasn’t worth the risk.

I (reluctantly) vote no!

@CarleeAnn I didn't even know I commented on that threat lol! Also I know people are really worried about the pooping but nobody actually uses that pool. My grandpa is too old and my sister occasionally uses it for a few minutes but not till the late summer. He gets it cleaned regularly by a pool guy, but nobody uses it so there won't be any issues with someone getting sick. And honestly? I wouldn't bring them over there a lot. It may only be once, maybe another time in the future but it won't be a regular thing at all. I just wanted to give Sunni a chance to see what it feels like to swim

If it’s so occasional then it should be fine. But just be cautious! It will be so cute you will want to take them to swim all the time!!

I think your safe in taking them over to let them swim as long as it's only once in awhile and your grandpa doesn't mind. since no one uses the pool anyway. Sis may not want to after the ducks swim in it. Only thing that concerns me is the pump thing remember when children were getting sucked into them I am not that familiar with in ground pools at homes but is that something to worry about?

Pool guy might wonder what went wrong though lol

Back
Top Bottom