ducks in river?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Poultry parent, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to ducks and my ducks are about 10 weeks old now and i was wondering how they would do if they had access to a river? It's not enclosed, and they do have some free range time everyday and they are always put up at night. I just wanted to know if they would come back? I'm pretty sure they will but there is a nagging voice in the back of my head saying they won't. Any help from anyone who has given ducks access to a river that's not enclosed is appreciated!

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd wait until they are 5-6 months old or so. And feed them only in the evening so that they'll have a good reason to come home in the evening.

1 person likes this.
  3. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    [​IMG]

My 2 newest. I have a year round Creek that feeds into a river. They were trained with a bag of peas. Before you put them down their train them with peas or give them peas once a day. Only a handful each. Then after a month of peas as treats introduce meal worms only occasionally. When they are at the river they will come right out when you shake the bag. Don't abuse treats or you'll be swimming to get them. I learned the hard way with my others.

1 person likes this.
  4. Poultry parent

thanks you! i was just worried about them going off!

5. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    They are actually good at staying home. After they become adults 20-24 weeks they tend to have a routine. Depending on the time of day I can find all my ducks because they have a set schedule on when to be where. It's kinda funny.

Lastly put them up at the same time and let them out at the same time. They will know when it's bed time and come home.

The water is actually good for them in a lot of ways but mainly for protection! It's their only means of protection if you free range.

Coyotes, possums and Raccoons don't swim worth a crap. Hawks and Eagles can't swim either and ducks dive with birds of prey. Water is their only protection from predators if you think about it

1 person likes this.
  6. Poultry parent

great! so far they have only been free ranging most of the day because we have lost a hen to i don't know what and i don't ant them to get hurt

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

My sister lives at a lake. Some people they know got Ducks this spring...They took them down to the lake a few times and all went really well...Then one day they decided they did not want to come back...The Ducks are now part of the Lake community..They visit everyone else but never go back home. Maybe they will in the fall?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Poultry parent

i live in the country so the river is on our property. and it's not huge it just has a good swimming hole

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Oh , that sounds good....Have fun with the Ducks. I sure love my Ducks.

10. Poultry parent

i am loving them! they are at the stage where they leave a trail of feathers everywhere they go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by