Ducks in swimming pools

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rubyfalls, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Rubyfalls

Rubyfalls New Egg

Mar 29, 2013
    Hello,

Ive had chickens for quite some time now, but hope to get into ducks at some point. I've read a lot about how swimming pools are not good for ducks and that ducks are not good for swimming pools. The one thing I can't find is whether or not ducks tend to go into pools on their own.

I have an above ground pool which is kept up with chlorine. I will also have a small pond at ground level. Is it likely that I will see ducks in my pool? Or will they stay away? I will not under any circumstances put them in the pool myself. If the pool could be a problem, I will likely say no to ducks and look elsewhere.

Thanks

2. GhislaineDel

GhislaineDel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    New England
    We have ducks whose home is right next to an in ground pool surrounded by a chain link fence. The ducks have never gone in the pool in the three years we have had them. I'm assuming it's the fence that keeps them out but since yours is above ground it should be fine too.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does you above ground pool have steps up to it? you might have to have a gate. My ducks can navigate steps pretty easy, but if you block off the steps most likely they won't be able to get in the pool. Ducks love water so if there is a way in most likely they will be in the pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by